Dr. Kelly Starrett is the co-author of the New York Times bestsellers “Becoming a Supple Leopard,” “Ready to Run,” and the Wall Street Journal bestseller, “Deskbound.” He consults with athletes and coaches from the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB, the US Olympic Team, and Crossfit, works with elite military forces, and consults with corporations on employee health and wellbeing.
He believes that everyone should know how to move and be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves.
Listen in as Kelly shares his experiences helping both elite athletes and general population clients own their fitness process. His unique methods help people better care for themselves in competition and in life.
In This Episode of Morpheus Radio:
- 1:12 – The importance of “not being a jerk” in the fitness industry
- 2:39 – Kelly discusses his journey as a coach
- 4:01 – How Kelly frames coaching work as forming a hypothesis, understanding the inputs and outputs, and recognizing the differences between strategy and tactics
- 6:17 – Joel reflects on how discovering HRV as a tool changed his coaching trajectory
- 8:18 – The importance of fundamentals and how very few coaches have truly mastered them
- 10:38 – Working with professional athletes and special warfare populations – NFL, spec ops, NHL
- 12:34 – How to help athletes reinforce positive behavior
- 14:55 – The differences between strength and athleticism and understanding deeply WHY we are training
- 17:40 – The challenge of quantifying results for the general population versus performance athletes
- 21:18 – Helping people own their fitness process
- 25:15 – EC Synkowski’s 800 Gram Challenge – https://optimizemenutrition.com/
- 27:00 – How to improve sleep and recovery behaviors by controlling the environment
- 29:00 – Kelly & Joel offer advice to younger coaches coming up in the industry
- 34:30 – Why transparency and authenticity is critical for advancement as a coach
- 38:10 – The importance of being a generalist as a coach, and a book referral: https://davidepstein.com/the-range/
- 40:00 – How Big Tech is changing the coaching profession: Apple, Mirror, Google, etc.
- 42:30 – Kelly gives an update on what he’s currently up to – Ready State App and the most comprehensive movement assessment available, new course: “Training The Injured Athlete”; new book: “Built To Move”